Are you looking to tackle a building renovation or start from the ground up? There are many things to consider when starting a new project, but the most important is finding a highly qualified general contractor who can help with your design build commercial construction needs. Although finding someone who thoroughly understands your demands can be time-consuming, it’s crucial to dedicate time to finding the right fit. A good general contractor is versatile and flexible, having the sound knowledge and experience to make the best choices for your building. Here are five tips to considering when hiring a building contractor:
- Word of mouth: It all boils down to trust. We inherently trust people who are like us and have already experienced something. Asking our business associates or friends who understand the motives is highly recommended.
- Put the time in: Making a list and cross-referencing recommendations with online reviews would be a great starting point. Once you have a list of suitable contractors- do your due diligence and reference their websites. Review important information such as credentials, awards, reviews, and references. A company’s website will highlight the company’s core values, which should ultimately align with yours.
- Meet in-person and view projects: Although you may be convinced from a few photos online, visiting a contractor in-person and physically seeing their work will give you a better visual. If there’s an opportunity to view a project that’s in progress, jump on this! Gain a better understanding of their management style and how they operate daily. This is also a good chance to point out any inconsistencies you may see from the website to on-site work.
- Consider more than price: Although sticking to a budget is important, don’t let cost be a deciding factor when selecting a commercial design assist construction contractor. If a bid comes below market value, it’s key to consider what type of craftmanship is being utilized. If you choose to go to tender, ask companies if they offer fixed costs or estimate on bid projects. This will help you better understand the scope of work and expectations.
- Keep your options open: Never decide on a general contractor because they have one glowing review and they offered you the world. Narrow down a list of suitable candidates and interview them. Have a list of questions ready to go so you can weed out any unsuitable contenders. And of course, don’t make any decisions on the spot. Take their answers away and prepare a pros and cons list before finalizing your choice.
When considering a building contractor, Arpi’s North prides itself on being best in class. Our award-winning service promises quality work and guaranteed expertise. If you’re in the market for a general contractor, contact us at 780-452-2096 or online. Our team is ready to provide superior value and excellent customer service while encouraging collaboration and communication. Contact us today for your next project!